Biography
Discover the journey of Auguste JEAN (1829-1896), a French ceramist and glassmaker from the second half of the 19th century, whose work holds a unique place in the history of decorative arts. An artist with a dual career, his ceramic production is fully in line with the eclecticism of his era, while his glasswork heralds the beginnings of Art Nouveau.
A figure in the revival of French faience alongside Joseph Devers, Théodore Deck, and Georges Pull, he also established himself among the great glassmakers of his time, alongside Émile Gallé, Philippe-Joseph Brocard, and Eugène Rousseau.
JANUARY 19, 1829
Birth of Auguste Jean
📍270, rue Mouffetard in Paris (V)
Sainte Marie François Augustin JEAN, known as Auguste JEAN, was born on January 19, 1829, in Paris.
He grew up in one of the apartments of the Manufacture des Gobelins where his father, Antoine Théodore JEAN (1797-1864), worked as a tapestry designer-painter in the low-warp workshop. His mother, Jeanne Virginie HÉRONVILLE (1806-1832), was a seamstress.
1850s
Ceramic painter
📍32, rue d'Enfer in Paris (XIV)
📍44, avenue de la Santé in Petit-Montrouge (XIV)
📍46, rue Hallé in Petit-Montrouge (XIV)
He worked in the Parisian workshop of Italian painter and sculptor Joseph DEVERS (1823-1882) as a potter and ceramic artist.
On June 18, 1856, Auguste JEAN married Marie Claire Sophie ROUX (1832 - after 1896) in Saint-Sulpice church (VI) in Paris. He was then residing at 350, rue Saint Jacques (V).
1859
Creation of the Jean Workshop
📍11, rue de Sèvres in Paris (VI)
At the age of 30, he founded his own workshop where he painted on earthenware purchased from the manufactures of Sceaux-Penthièvre, Bourg-la-Reine, and Faïencerie Toul-Bellevue.
He then appeared in the Almanach du Commerce as "Ceramic painter, specializing in artistic earthenware of all eras and styles."
Two years later, in 1861, his first son, Sainte Marie Maurice JEAN (1861-1938), was born. The same year, he participated in several exhibitions for the first time.
1860
Aux Forges de Vulcain
On the occasion of the relocation of the general hardware, tools, and machine tools store Aux Forges de Vulcain to 3 rue Saint-Denis in Paris (1st arrondissement), Auguste JEAN created its monumental enameled faience sign. Founded in 1807 by Jules CHOUANARD, this establishment was one of the most important hardware stores in Paris at the time.
Widely reproduced in the press, on postcards, photographs, and even on the company's invoice letterheads, the sign became a true emblem of the establishment. Photographs by Claudine HUZA-MARECHEL and Robert DOISNEAU confirm that it remained in place at least until the store closed in 1974.
1863
From Ceramic Painter to Art Potter
📍32, rue d'Assas in Paris (VI)
Following the acquisition and subsequent demolition of 11, rue de Sèvres by the City of Paris, he moved to rue d'Assas, where he set up a proper workshop allowing him to produce his own ceramics. Some of his creations were also sold in London, at 211 Regent Street.
Around the same time, the photographer Adolphe Dallemagne captured Auguste Jean with two of his earthenware pieces in his studio on Avenue de Ségur in Paris.
This same year was marked by the birth of his daughter Marie Geneviève JEAN (1863 - after 1936) and his participation in several exhibitions.
1865-1871
From Workshop to Shop
📍39, boulevard Malesherbes in Paris (8th arrondissement)
In 1865, he opened his first retail store. In specialized directories, he was listed under the following description:
"Artistic earthenware of all styles and eras. - Specializing in interior and exterior building applications. - Monumental and religious earthenware. - Imitations of Luca della Robbia in all sizes, in the round and in bas-relief. Tiling, flooring, and panels of all dimensions. - All paints are high-fired, making them unalterable."
This same year also marked the birth of his second son, Charles Augustin Henri JEAN (1865 - 1926).
1868
Construction of a new Workshop
📍61, rue Dombasle in Paris (XV)
On this land acquired in the Vaugirard district, where Théodore Deck, Félix Bracquemond, Ernest Chaplet, Laurent Pull, Haviland, and many others worked, Auguste JEAN had a residential house and the workshops necessary for his production built, at a cost of 40,000 francs.
The small manufactory consists of: an enamel room, a machine shop, a molding workshop, a kiln workshop with a forge, a laboratory, an electroplating bath workshop, a muffle room, two painting workshops, and a white storage room.
1871
The Commune: destruction of his shop
📍Paris
The violent clashes during the Paris Commune led to the destruction of his shop at 39, Boulevard Malesherbes, and consequently, a large part of his production for sale, which forced him to file for bankruptcy.
Insolvency documents state: "The bankrupt declares that he suffered a loss of approximately 18,000 francs, but that the commission of inquiry, having found the shop closed, awarded an indemnity of 300 francs ex officio, and that later, when he tried to claim, he found himself under the blow of foreclosure."
1875
Bankruptcy and composition with creditors
📍Paris
The losses and damages caused by the clashes of the Commune are too great: Auguste Jean is declared bankrupt in August 1875. However, he is kept at the head of his workshops and continues to produce.
Insolvency documents and the legal and commercial press state: "He undertakes to pay all debts, but without interest, over 10 consecutive years and in staggered payments as follows: 4% during the first 5 years and 16% during the last 5. The first payment will be made one year after the approval of the composition."
1876
Notre-Dame-des-Victoires Church
Auguste JEAN created the enameled earthenware panels located on the lower part of the altar in the Chapel of the 7 Sorrows of the Notre-Dame-des-Victoires church. This was a special commission as the church had been plundered and desecrated 5 years earlier, during the events of the Commune in 1871.
1878
Lawsuit against Monot & Stumpf
📍Paris
While Auguste Jean had begun new research into glasswork, which he intended to pursue, he initiated a lawsuit against the Monot & Stumpf factory, accusing them of counterfeiting in the manufacture of metallized glass products. However, he lost the case, as he could not prove that the technique used was identical to the one he employed and for which he had filed a patent application the previous year.
1879
A turning point: art glassmaking
📍61, rue Dombasle in Paris (XV)
📍64, rue Hauteville in Paris (X)
Alongside his continuing activity as a ceramist, he invested in a new production: that of art glass, for which he founded a new company, Ate JEAN et Cie.
To do this, he invested in new facilities and rented new spaces dedicated to the production of art glass, particularly "a product of his invention which he named metallized glass."
1879-1882
Opening of a consignment store
📍64, rue d'Hauteville, Paris (10th arrondissement)
He opens a 30m2 boutique to sell his glass creations and also has a 15m2 workshop.
The land registry states: "Jean. Operating a famous glass painting establishment, wholesale crystal merchant."
On the same street are many other glassmakers, including Monot & Stumpf, whom he sued in 1878.
1880-1883
Workshops expansion
📍142 rue de l'Abbé Groult in Paris (XV)
In addition to his workshop dedicated to the creation of artistic faience and his consignment store, he rented a nearby additional storage space on rue de l'Abbé Groult, consisting of two sheds, to house plaster molds, as well as a new workshop solely for the manufacture of artistic glassware.
1881-1883
Opening of a Second Consignment Store
📍45, rue des Petites-Écuries in Paris (X)
He opens a second shop to sell his glass creations.
1883
Bankruptcy
📍Paris
Auguste JEAN is once again forced to file for bankruptcy a second time. His Parisian adventure comes to an end, as does his glassmaking venture.
His son, Maurice JEAN, then 23 years old, and his younger brother, Charles, 19 years old, painfully take over the business, occasionally exhibiting at salons under the name JEAN Fils and then JEAN M. et C. Fils.
1887
Departure for Vierzon
📍1, rue Sergent Bobillot in Vierzon
He eventually left Paris to settle in Cher, in Vierzon, where he first lived with his wife and daughter.
There, he joined the brand new École Nationale Professionnelle (ENP), one of the first technical education establishments in France, as the teacher of imitation drawing and porcelain painting in the ceramics workshop.
1891
Ateliers Jean & Cie in Vierzon
📍1, rue Sergent Bobillot in Vierzon (Auguste JEAN's home and workshop)
📍2, rue de la République in Vierzon (home of his eldest son Maurice JEAN)
Joined by his son Maurice Jean, with whom he partnered to create JEAN & Cie, they opened a modest earthenware and porcelain workshop. They participated in rare regional exhibitions where they were always rewarded and opened their workshop daily to the public. In addition to earthenware production, they became known for their flambé porcelains, which they signed NPV.
At the same time, Auguste JEAN's creations were still sold in Paris, particularly through the representative HÉRISSAY. P, located at 47, rue de Paradis in Paris.
November 3, 1896
Death
📍Vierzon
At the age of 67, Auguste JEAN passed away far from Paris and the glory of his early days, but recognized by his peers. La dépêche du Berry paid tribute to him in the obituary published on November 6, 1896.
His eldest son, Maurice JEAN, would continue to produce ceramics in Vierzon under the name Maurice Jean & Cie before returning to live in Paris where he passed away in 1938.